Saturday, April 25, 2015

A Subway experience and a “teacher” attitude

While leaving the chiropractor’s office, and getting into the A train. I decided to sit right next to these amazing little African American kids (ages of 8, 9, 11 and 12) who were being loud and, some people can say “annoying”. While sitting there, I decided to listen to my favorite DJ, Kygo, on Spotify. Minutes later, I look up to see the following:

- Everyone is quiet looking down
-One of the kids is holding his neck (crying so loud)
- The other kids are next to him telling him to “Shut the fuck up”

While all of this is happening, none of the adults did anything to solve the problem. All they did was stare at them and make faces of annoyance. This was a moment for me to remember that NYC is a huge city with lots of people, yet we have forgotten to be giving and caring; in other words, this society tends to be very selfish at times. They just forgot that these kids needed some guidance and no one dared to help. 

This was a moment that I took 2 seconds to think about what I should do since I am sitting right next to them. When I looked at the kids, they just stared at me and I started by asking the following:
Me: What happened?
Kid 1: I smacked in against the seat (these seats are so hard and uncomfortable).
Me: Why would you do that?
Kid 1: Because he was annoying.
Me: Well, I was hit by you guys 3 times but I did not smack anyone. Did I?
Kid 1 and 2: No you did not.
While the child is still crying, I am trying to stop him from being loud and call the attention, which after 5 minutes I did that. We made a connection and it felt amazing! Everyone else was looking at me as if I had 3 heads and 5 arms.
What made this trip an amazing experience was the following:
I asked them if their math tests were easy or hard and all of these kids said it was easy. My second question whether if they had good grades. 2 out of the 4 students said they had really good grades and that math was easy for them. I immediately continued the conversation by asking them about the drumming while in the subway. They told me they were just having fun. I told them I was horrible at drumming because I am not coordinated. They told me to follow them and do exactly what they were doing, which, I did and they were cheering after this. After that, I asked them what else are they good at and they started rapping to “milk and cereal” which was a song they created on their own! I was shocked because we all had fun and the crying child forgot about crying and started rapping with us! The interactions we had amongst ourselves had other people listening and looking at us with smiles in their faces. My teacher persona came out and I told them I was getting off at the 125 stop and that I needed them to not be too loud and be respectful with each other. They did their math and told me exactly how many blocks away from me they live. One even said: “I’ll save your seat and no one would take your spot”. We had a truly, solid, human interaction in which the teacher learned about them and they learned about me. Would I ever see them again? I do not know, but they changed my perspective and my judgement.

Children are children, it is up to us to show them gratitude and teach them the greatness of the world; however, we are also humans and we are constantly learning. I definitely learned about their different type of intelligence different individuals possess and I learned that I do not want to be selfish and I want to act when someone is in need. It is a story I wanted to share with y’all. 

#nycsubwayexperiences

No comments:

Post a Comment