Saturday, April 25, 2015

I fell in love with teaching AGAIN!

These past two weeks have been exhausting for both the students and the teachers. Teacher have been asked to proctor without sitting down (violation of labor laws) and also have asked us to walk pass each student although they feel uncomfortable. However, these two weeks have allowed me to think on why I decided to teach after all.

For those of you who do not know me, I was accepted as a New York Teaching Fellow back in 2012. I was not sure what I was doing, but I knew I wanted to work with new immigrants and their children. Teaching allowed me to do that and advocate/ teach them how to advocate for their beliefs, however, I was accepted as a special educator which also allows me to teach the same beliefs.
The DOE in NYC has made me doubt my profession many times because as many educators say “we are fighting against a monster”.  These past two months, I have been depressed and seriously thinking whether if this is my profession or not and I have decided that I AM  teacher!

These past two weeks, my students were able to open up to me and share things I did not know! They respect me and make me feel wanted and loved! Hugs, sweet words, and more hugs have reminded me why I love teaching. When I am teaching, I feel fulfilled professionally and often I forget this! I just have to remind myself to FALL IN LOVE WITH TEACHING EVERY DAY!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment