Monday, June 6, 2016

Her Protector

- "What is your next stop?"
- Reluctant to answer, he observes me closely and says: "96th street but my mom will not wake up (while the scent of alcohol can be detected from far away)." 
- "I'm sure she was tired. Is she ok? Did she sleep last night?"
- "Yes, she slept last night." 
We both became silent.. We looked at each other and smiled because, in my mind, he is still a young kid and I can't help but think of him as one of my students. By now, he trusts the stranger sitting next to him. 
- "Was she drinking?"
- (Long pause)... "No she wasn't."

Three stops pass by and both, her son and myself, are trying to wake her up. He may have been 7 years old and was already taking care of his drunk mother and her belongings. The stop finally arrives. We both are trying to wake her up. He grabs her things while she grabs her purse the wrong way and everything falls on the floor. With seconds before the door closes, he says: "please help us. We will miss our stop". His face shows desperation because he needs someone to wake his mom and carry the bags they have.  Finally, I put everything in her bag and help her get out. She can barely walk. She laughs while rage is running through my body because of what I see right in front of me. 

I see this child and I think of the many things he may have to deal with, but at the same time, he already knows how to lie for his mother. He already knows how to protect his mother. He may even think he is the man of the house. Who knows? All I can think of his smile because not only he is a protector, but in the end, he is also a child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment