Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Paying it Forward

While walking home, this stranger holds my arm and with her frantic look tries to ask me where is 7th ave in Harlem area because she didn't know it (I was shocked since this is not very common in the city). I recognized her accent and knew she didn't speak English but Chinese just wasn't sure which dialect. I asked her in mandarin if she spoke it, immediately looked at me, held her chest and smiled while asking if I was Chinese and I could help her. I told her I wasn't Chinese but I would try to help her. She just gave me the note below and had no idea what it said until my brain somehow recognized characters (simple ones) to more or less understand where she needed to go. I told her I would take her there and again, held her chest and trusted me.. She arrived where she needed to go to. Her look was similar to the one I had when I had first arrived to Yiwu, China when I had no phone and almost cried until a group of elders lent me their phone, gave me some water, and told me it was going to be ok..
I was not sure when I would return the favor, but it seems I did already. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment